Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thoughts on Travelling

Nothing to report really, just thought my blog was being neglected. Here are some random thoughts, and a bit about what I've been up to and what I plan to do.

After grumbling on Ko Tao about not being able to dive and then picking up a new travel partner, we (for those keeping track: Karlijn and I, plus newcomer Linda) headed to Ko Phayam on the west coast. The island was very secluded, and since it was off season we were only sharing the beach and the waves with about fifteen other people, which is quite a contrast from the city-like Ko Tao and Ko Pahangan.

My initial thoughts on travelling: I love it. It's very busy and I don't have much time to think of home so I don't miss it too much (sorry everyone!), except for when I have the occasional bout of home sickness. I also feel like I learn a lot about myself, some travellers are very open and you discuss everything and through that I have questioned myself (in a good way), and learned a lot. I'm learning to be more positive and outgoing and not to judge people right away.

I am currently still in Thailand, been around Bangkok and Pattaya lately, and on the twenty-seventh of this month I will be flying with my two pals to Yangon, Myanmar (if we can get a visa). At first, Myanmar sounded a bit dangerous to me, which is why I was attracted to it I think. On doing some reading it doesn't sound any more dangerous than any other SE Asian country. Most travellers avoid it because it is difficult to get a visa or because they are boycotting the government due to their violent crackdowns on pro-democratic protesters or other human rights abuses. I also considered not going because of the government's actions on peaceful protestors and monks, luckily there are ways to avoid giving the government your money while there.

OK, so I guess I had more to say than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment