Saturday, April 25, 2009

Cameron Highlands

The Cameron Highlands has rolling hills covered in thick forests with an occasional European-style village along the winding highway through the Malaysian interior. The European architecture of the villages, and the habit of the locals to enjoy tea and biscuits, is a reminder of the English colonization of these parts.

The climate is like northern Ontario, and made me miss home a lot. I felt like I was at camp at the end of the summer from when I was younger. The days were warm but the nights cooled off so that you needed to put on pants and a sweater. Some coniferous trees stood out around the hostel and you share a room with your bunk mates (mine being the two guys who helped me with my wallet troubles). What reminded me most of Canada was the mounties they have posted in the highlands there. Just kidding, obv. What reminded me most of Canada was the air, the high altitude made the air refreshing (a real treat when compared to Singapore's sticky, wet, and heavy air).

The landscapes were beyond words, especially the Tea Plantation I visited. So I will let the pictures do the talking. I've also uploaded pictures from my weekend long trip to Indonesia a few weeks ago, you can see it on my Picasa Web Albums or below.


Oh ya, I also went to Kuala Lumpur, but who cares about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment